Seattle Seahawks Jersey

Seattle Seahawks Jersey

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Surf's Up

Surf's Up

I've got the sun on my face, sea salt on my skin, and a Beach Boys tune in my head. Pamela Anderson I'm not but that's not stopping me and six other landlubbers from learning to surf.

Far from the Bondi Beach, Baywatch, and blondebabesinbikinis scene I'd always pictured, we're in Croyde Bay, in the Southwest of England, wearing full wetsuits and are mostly brunette. I arrive at the school's Suft South West headquarters on the beach and am given my wetsuit (not the most flattering attire) and a spongy beginner's board all 9 feet of it!

I then head with my instructor (the extremely able Ben) and the rest of the wouldbe Kelly Slaters to the beach for a 15 to 20minute introduction covering the surfboard, catching waves, techniques for standing up, and safety information, such as which currents to avoid.

We practice lying down, pulling ourselves to our knees, then making the final jump to our feet looking a bit ridiculous to passersby. Then it's straight into the sea for our first taste of surfing.

Little waves

Surfers generally lament the lack of big waves, but for me the small ripples are just fine, thank you. I'm a bit unstable to begin with, but within a few minutes I'm taking it in turns with the rest of the group to paddle off, rise to my feet, and eventually ride the "sets" of waves that come in with Ben's whoops and shouts of encouragement egging me on.

Although we are in a group, our instructor is constantly on hand to offer us all individual tips and advice. Two of the more adventurous among us progress on to a headstand and a few basic moves, but I'm just content with standing up and by the end of the hourlong session I've caught at least six real waves!

There's no doubt that this is great exercise it gives your upper arms, abs, and thigh muscles a thorough workout. And the next day when my arms are aching and my legs are like jelly, I'm glad I gave the headstands a miss.

All equipment is provided, I just had to bring myself, swimwear and a towel. One of the best things about the sport is that, rain or shine, you can participate since you're in the water anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment